Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Back to DSLR

Page 1 of 2Next

(sing it as the Beatles)

Hello! I'm new and I'm going to write an introduction post later, but I'm starting with my current thoughts and websearches 🙂

I'm mainly shooting on micro four thirds. Transferring from DSLR was a relief as I found myself taking less and less photos because of the size of the camera. MFT got me back to shooting more. However, I sold of the DSLR-system I had and now some years later I have started to get the urge to get a DSLR again. It's something about looking into a proper viewfinder (that isn't a electronic screen) that gives me a different kind of joy and satisfaction when shooting.

So, I am looking for some tips on which DSLRs to look for, and maybe more specifically, which camera+nifty-fifty-combo to look for. Or nifty-thirty-five, as I find 50mm to be a bit long for all-purpose on APS-C. Let's say a budget of $200-300 for such starting combo, to provide some framework.

I'm tempted for going full frame. If I'm going to supplement the mft-system with something bigger, why not go all in? But my feeling is that full frame tends to be priced higher and thus being less bang-for-buck?

Right now, I'm leaning towards the Nikon D80. I see many listed around $100-150 in my country, and for $200-250 you often get some accessories and/or lenses. There are also many Nikon 35's listed, so it would be a kit that isn't too hard to source.

Other option is Pentax k100d or k200d. Is see one or two of these listed right now. I used to own a Pentax Kx with the DA 50mm f1.8. I really enjoyed that combo (although being bit long for all-purpose, as mentioned). Pentax in general appeals to me, but it’s harder to get a hold on lenses I believe…

After reading around here a bit, I got a bit curious on the Sony Alpha A290. I find quite many listed here, also for $100-150, but it might be a bit more difficult to find lenses for these as well?

Just looking for someone to discuss with me. Please share your thoughts 🙂

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP

I agree on both counts. It is really nice having a small kit that is just easier to bring along and less likely to get in the way when out and about. And it's also really, really fun using an OVF and old-school DSLR! 🙂

I'd say go with whatever you find the best deal on and like. Nikon has lots of options and really great lenses. But I don't have much experience with them so I'll leave it to others to make specific recommendations. As for Pentax, I'm biased toward the K-5 and K10D. The sensors are just so nice on those two cams, highly recommended if you can find one of them in the price range you're looking for. As for lenses the SMC 35mm f/2.8 macro would be hard to beat for quality and versatility but may not be as budget friendly as some Nikon options. The Pentax DA L 35mm f/2.4 is usually less expensive and a nice lens also. Of course there are plenty of nice film-era lenses too!

Jonatan L has reacted to this post.
Jonatan L

Yeah. I bought the first Olympus E-M1 thinking it would be perfect to have a camera with the big ergonomics but share the same lenses as the smaller kit. But I almost havn't used it. I can't seem to getting used to the EVF, among others.

And yes, ultimaty I guess it will be determined on a good deal. I just don't want to mistake a good deal for a bad one 😛 But regardless what system I end up buying into, I will probably look for some film-era lenses further down the road 🙂

Weirdly, I was just thinking about this today. After using my D/SLRs for awhile coming back to an EVF, especially an older one was jarring. It was actually kind of difficult to tell what was in focus due to the resolution.

With regard as to what to buy, I don't know what falls within your budget. I would just take a look around and see what you can find. I would say since you already have one compact setup you should go full frame so that way you're giving yourself more options. But I think even the cheapest full frame cameras are around $400, which is more than your budget for the body alone.

What I'm starting to figure out about gear is that I go through phases and it's best to have a few cameras that fulfill different roles and needs, so I can always have something that feels right.

JBP and Jonatan L have reacted to this post.
JBPJonatan L

I seen some Nikon D600 down towards $300, so there are some options out there for cheap full frame.

Yesterday I found someone listed Pentax DA 35 mm for $150 and the DA 50 mm for $100. Considering contact to discuss possible package deal. I believe that would be a good start lens-wise. I think James pointed out this in a video, that i might be better to look for the glass first, then the camera. I see for instance a k100d, a k200d, a k20d and a k-x listed for around $100. The choice there I guess will be a question of sensor and size of camera..

Cory Maben has reacted to this post.
Cory Maben

Hello Jonatan, nice to meet you.

I love the older cameras that you've listed around $100.  If it's a second fun camera, you'll be super happy. They can be limiting with dynamic range/ISO, but just shoot in decent lighting and it's amazing on what you can get in these budget setups.

I actually really like the DA 35mm on Pentax. It's plastic and cheap, but optically does really well. Note there's a few versions - the green ring DA 35mm f1.8 is the cheap one that I'm talking about. There's older(and newer) FA 35mm f2 ones (grey, FF), and a DA limited 35mm f2.8 macro (superb lens from what I hear, but more like $200). The DA 35mm can be had used in the US around ~$75 anyday, cheaper if you wait. The DA 50mm f1.8 that pairs with it I don't have but seems similarly a good value.

I don't have the cheaper 35mm for Nikon, but I want to get it. I have a few bodies that take Nikon F mount now.

As for full frame, you can start to get some around $300 like the original Canon 5d which looks lovely. You'll be getting an older camera and sensor, so the same things apply abut dynamic range and noise, but really nice stuff in decent lighting. You'll also be spending a little more for some types of lenses for the FF equivalent. Going to be much larger/heavier. I don't think it's really necessary, but I totally get the idea of getting a camera you want to play with because it sounds fun 🙂 

JBP and Jonatan L have reacted to this post.
JBPJonatan L
Happy snappin' 🙂

After reading around here a bit, I got a bit curious on the Sony Alpha A290. I find quite many listed here, also for $100-150, but it might be a bit more difficult to find lenses for these as well?

The Sony Alpha DSLRs take old Minolta AF lenses (Full frame lenses). It should actually be rather easy to find some of them for cheap.
The Minolta AF 50mm 1.7 might be cheapest of its kind. It's nearly 40 years old but if you get a clean version it does perform and if you have the time to wait for a good deal it will set you back 10 USD.
There is also a 28mm 2.8 which is maybe around 20 USD and closer to a 50mm equivalent on Sony DSLR APS-C
Then there are bunch of dirt cheap zooms from Minolta, Sigma, Tamron, Exakta, Tokina and others but also from Sony/Zeiss ofc (Sony lenses marked with DT are APS-C).

I personally don't know the a290 but from what I've read, the later low-end models from the Alpha DSLR time (200/230/290/330/380/390) have less buttons and weren't regarded as real upgrades.

I tried the a100, a200 and the a350. The a350 (50 USD) should have similar specs as the a290 even tho its older. But different storage cards and batteries so that could be a deal breaker.

Also worth noting, even tho the Minolta AF lenses are full frame, the Sony Alpha DSLR line doesn't have much to offer for going full frame in case you later want to upgrade the body. There are only 4 full frame bodies a900/850 (basically the same camera) and a99 & a99II (have electronic viewfinders).
These are really only interesting if you happen find one for a really good price. Pretty sure Sony never sold much of them and that unfortunately means the prices have not dropped as much.

James Warner and Jonatan L have reacted to this post.
James WarnerJonatan L

Thanks for all the replies 🙂 Yesterday I hit the button on a Nikon D80 with a 18-135 mm and a 50 mm for just over $100, including bag. Man you can get a lot when looking at older camera gear. 

I was intrigued on getting into Pentax again but was also curious on Nikon, as this for many years was my brothers choice (who barely shoots nowadays). Ultimately this felt like a good deal a something fun to try out. The zoom will probably just sit on the shelf and If I enjoy the camera I will probably look for a prime around 30-35 mm. And maybe some vintage lenses 🙂

Kamera Brand has reacted to this post.
Kamera Brand

The D80 is a great camera to play around. 👍
Don't shelf the zoom tho, it should do just fine. I still have and use an old AF-S 55-200mm 4-5.6 (2 pics below) which is probably similar in quality and perfectly usable. Especially on older lower MP cameras the zoom beats the crop, even if its a kit lens zoom. Sometimes you just cant walk to the right position and then a zoom comes in handy.

Uploaded files:
  • photo_2024-05-11_18-03-32.jpg
  • photo_2024-05-11_18-03-38.jpg

Valid point on the zoom beat crops. Reason for my comment is that for situations when I would want a "superzoom", is situations when I would probably take my micro four thirds-system instead. At least that's my theory. However, I'm starting to realise that my preference for primes isn't always ideal when I want to capture kids running around 😛 so I will at least try it out.

Page 1 of 2Next