Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Dalsa CCD "Medium Format" DSLR -- Mamiya ZD

PreviousPage 4 of 4
Quote from Cory Maben on May 15, 2023, 6:50 pm

@holun

Thanks for the link I will check it out. I will try setting a white balance in camera if I decide to do it again.

@james-warner-b

Yeah I was under the impression that it was of a direct process and didn't require any more editing than regular files. But I would be very interested to see the results from the Kolari IR Chrome filter when it comes in.

Will do! I'm excited to get one again. I sold it when my K-01 died. Here's some shots with it from before it died. Most, if not all of these, are SOOC JPEGs. The ones that aren't were just exposure/contrast kind of things, but color remained untouched.

HeggenDazs and DWMO have reacted to this post.
HeggenDazsDWMO
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Cory Maben on May 15, 2023, 8:02 pm
Quote from James Warner on May 15, 2023, 7:25 pm
Quote from Cory Maben on May 15, 2023, 6:50 pm

@holun

Thanks for the link I will check it out. I will try setting a white balance in camera if I decide to do it again.

@james-warner-b

Yeah I was under the impression that it was of a direct process and didn't require any more editing than regular files. But I would be very interested to see the results from the Kolari IR Chrome filter when it comes in.

Will do! I'm excited to get one again. I sold it when my K-01 died. Here's some shots with it from before it died. Most, if not all of these, are SOOC JPEGs. The ones that aren't were just exposure/contrast kind of things, but color remained untouched.

Wow! I love the look of these! I like that heavy orange/teal contrast. I am very tempted to grab one for myself.

That Mamiya is quite the camera, nothing about it is conventional. I only had a short time to look at the example that @james-warner-b has. It is a tall, thick beast of a camera. It looks like when they designed it they forgot that it was going to be digital, only adding the screen way into the design process haha.

DWMO has reacted to this post.
DWMO

I don't want to post too much photos here as it might feel a bit cluttered hence this will be my last one for this thread.

I went out early morning a few days ago to the closest Starbucks close to me and took some photos with my Mamiya ZD. The original photos are super dull but I think it really made me slow down and think about what of photo I wanted, as supposed to relying on color science.

Uploaded files:
  • Others_007.jpg
  • Others_014.jpg
  • Others_015.jpg
  • Others_003.jpg
  • Others_018.jpg
James Warner has reacted to this post.
James Warner
Quote from KanaiFilm on May 19, 2023, 7:00 am

I don't want to post too much photos here as it might feel a bit cluttered hence this will be my last one for this thread.

I went out early morning a few days ago to the closest Starbucks close to me and took some photos with my Mamiya ZD. The original photos are super dull but I think it really made me slow down and think about what of photo I wanted, as supposed to relying on color science.

Nice compositions out of what others (myself) would have walked by!

Happy snappin' 🙂

Here I am, late to the party, thanks to (or because of) James' very nice video of this chunky beast which was completely unbeknownst to me.

As soon as I saw the video (twice) and notwithstanding our old cameras hero recommendation to "not buy it", I knew I had to hunt for one, possibly without shelling out an arm and a leg. Turned out here in Europe they are a bit easier to come by that on the other side of the pond, but they don't come much cheaper either. I found one with a lot of shutter actuations (ca. 125k) but in seemingly very good conditions from the pics, with two batteries (I usually I don't give a sh*t about those, but I discovered later on how difficult they are to come by and how costly they could be) and the AF 80 F2.8 kit lens. Asking price was 2.000 Euros, too much for my tastes, so after a lot of negotiations and convincing efforts on my side, I managed to snatched it for 900 Euro (probably it helped also that the camera was given for free to the seller by a photographer friend who used it professionally in studio). The camera is in perfect working conditions and... oh boy how much I low the look of the images that come out of it! I was totally floored on how much fine details that "only" 22 MP sensor can resolve, with an added microcontrast/crispiness as a bonus, that can only be enhanced at will through some competent post-processing. It reminded me a lot to my Foveon Merrill images, with the added bonus of increased resolution and much shallower depth of field, which really give to the pics an unique look that I'm now totally in love with. Colors are indeed on the muted side out of camera, but C1 does an outstanding job in adding up the right degree of saturation, if one feels like and the amount of detail it can be extracted from the MEF files is definitely much higher than from SOOC JPEGs, even at the maximum sharpness setting.

I've become so enthusiastic about this camera that I went a real buying spree of Mamiya 645 lenses, some found really cheap, some less (but they are of the finest quality variety): AF 45 F2.8 (cheaper, non D version), AF 150 F2.8 D (this one is still expensive but is razor sharp right from maximum aperture, probably the best I've tried so far), AF 300 F4.5 APO (also on the expensive side, very difficult to use handheld without introducing microblur, but when it nails looks pretty sharp to me) and just got the fabled 80 F1.9 N, so very curious to see if it's really worth of its fame, keep you posted 🙂

P.S. My personal advice: if you happen to stumble into this camera for around a grand indecent shape and possibly with a kit lens, just BUY IT without hesitation, you won't regret it 😉

@tirpitz that's awesome you got your hands on one! It's a great camera with a great history. I haven't picked up any more lenses other than the 80 and 120mm macro I have, but that 150mm f2.8 has been on my bucket list. Good to hear it performs well on the camera. 

Happy snappin' 🙂

Actually a word of caution on the 150 F2.8: it’s optically excellent but at least on my camera it has a problem that doesn’t communicate consistently with the body, so aperture setting and AF actuation stop working regularly and you have to put the camera in MF and back to have them back in working order. It’s pretty annoying, and I know is a camera issue because with my DF+ it works flawlessly. Otherwise it’s obviously a very good lens 🙂

PreviousPage 4 of 4