Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Harman Phoenix

PreviousPage 2 of 2
Quote from James Warner on December 7, 2023, 2:40 pm
Quote from Gideon Liddiard Photography on December 7, 2023, 11:06 am

Mine has arrived and the film is an interesting shade of yellow!

That's so weird to see, lol. I've used some interesting films form China that are straight up purple or blue and it's super odd to me. 

I'm excited to see your results! No rush! xD

Do you develop yourself, or will you be having a lab do it?

It will be lab-developed (and then scanned/edited by me), luckly I use Analogue Wqonderland in the UK, who have worked closely with Harman, so should be a good bet for developing it.

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce

Here's my own results with my first roll.  I shot it rated at ISO 160, and had local lab develop.  Scanned with Plustek 8200i and Silverfast 9 as color negative with Ilford Delta 100 negafix profile at 3600dpi and WB corrected in LR.  The base film seems to be the same as Ilford XP2.  I shot this roll in Northern Minnesota on Lake Superior in Duluth and Two Harbors.  I've really enjoyed the results I've achieved so far.  Equipment used, Pentax MZ-S with Tamron 70-200 F2.8, Pentax FA 31 Limited and SMC A 35-105 F3.5 Stack of Primes.

Rusty Dump Truck by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Canal Park Lift Bridge and Inner Breakwater Lighthouse by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Duluth South Pier Lighthouse by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Duluth North Pier Lighthouse by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Phoenix Halation in Full Force by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

International by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Rusting Away by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Door Patina by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Dump Truck 2 by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Two Harbors Light House by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

SS Arthur M. Anderson Two Harbors by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Two Harbors Seawall by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Two Harbors by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Kendalls Smokehouse by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

James Warner and Gideon Liddiard Photography have reacted to this post.
James WarnerGideon Liddiard Photography

Just finished scanning the first roll I've had developed (home scanned - E-M1 Mk11 with 30mm Nacro, Pixl-latr, and CS-lite), only one shot edited to show, but a few observations from editing. Shot at 200ASA. Edited using Negative Lab Pro and LRc. Taken with an old Vivitar 35 EE P&S Rangefinder (these are cheap and great little cameras - strongly recommend).

• Halation can be very strong, to the point it can happen with a bright sky against a dark enough foreground
  • It's really  noisy for 200ASA
  • High saturation and contrast
  • WB is all over the place and requires adjusting for almost every shot individually (labs scanning this must be having a hard time or pumping out some very mixed results)
  • It doesn't have the exposure latitude you would normally expect from colour neg film, with a massive increase in grain and muddy colours much above about 1.5 stops.
  • Colour artfacting is massive in dark areas in the grain, maxing out the colour noise reduction helps with this massively (strong recommendation on pretty much every shot).

That aside I'm really enjoying it and Harman was quite clear that it's very much an experimental film at this stage, and this shot, does to a degree shot it can produce some great work.

James Warner and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruce
Quote from Gideon Liddiard Photography on January 23, 2024, 11:21 pm

Just finished scanning the first roll I've had developed (home scanned - E-M1 Mk11 with 30mm Nacro, Pixl-latr, and CS-lite), only one shot edited to show, but a few observations from editing. Shot at 200ASA. Edited using Negative Lab Pro and LRc. Taken with an old Vivitar 35 EE P&S Rangefinder (these are cheap and great little cameras - strongly recommend).

• Halation can be very strong, to the point it can happen with a bright sky against a dark enough foreground
  • WB is all over the place and requires adjusting for almost every shot individually (labs scanning this must be having a hard time or pumping out some very mixed results)
  • It doesn't have the exposure latitude you would normally expect from colour neg film, with a massive increase in grain and muddy colours much above about 1.5 stops.
  • Colour artfacting is massive in dark areas in the grain, maxing out the colour noise reduction helps with this massively (strong recommendation on pretty much every shot).

That aside I'm really enjoying it and Harman was quite clear that it's very much an experimental film at this stage, and this shot, does to a degree shot it can produce some great work.

I'm enjoying it alot actually.  I have two more rolls, and I want to use them in some specific colors and scenarios.  I like it much more than most people.  Can't wait to see additional uploads from you.

Gideon Liddiard Photography has reacted to this post.
Gideon Liddiard Photography
Quote from SpruceBruce on January 27, 2024, 1:31 am
Quote from Gideon Liddiard Photography on January 23, 2024, 11:21 pm

I'm enjoying it alot actually.  I have two more rolls, and I want to use them in some specific colors and scenarios.  I like it much more than most people.  Can't wait to see additional uploads from you.

I had three rolls in total as well, my second is currently in my Canon A1, and I'm tempted to save the third for the summer.

A few more from my Vivitar 35EE.

The only editing the last one has is white balance and neg>pos conversion via NLP (in other words the absolute bare minimum required), nothing else, the insane drama in the clouds is all Phoenix!

James Warner, SpruceBruce and grover have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBrucegrover

Finally got around to shooting my second roll of Phoenix, this time in my Canon A-1, and I honestly think the more accurate exposure that comes from better metering (vs. the 35EE) works in favour with this stock.

I still have one roll left and I may try and pick some more up as I still really do like its aesthetic. 

James Warner and grover have reacted to this post.
James Warnergrover
PreviousPage 2 of 2