Please or Register to create posts and topics.

K1 vs KP, Opinions?

Page 1 of 2Next

Hey guys, I know there are quite a few Pentaxians on here so I wanted to get some opinions on these two cameras. The KP is attractive because of it's compact size and the availability of compact lenses for crop bodies on K Mount. Which is the reason I'm considering a new camera. I have noticed a lot lately that the bulk of my other setups is really preventing me from going out lately. But the K1 is attractive for me due to the larger sensor and being full frame would mean all the lenses would be interchangeable between my film body and my digital body which helps keep the amount of camera stuff I have more manageable since I have limited space.

What do you guys think of each camera? Any strong opinions on them? Also I am considering the KP over the variants of the K3 due to the tilt screen. A tilting screen is a pain point I'm constantly running up against with my current cameras.

I think APSC systems in general are very underrated compared to FF, you get smaller cheaper lenses with overall better F stops. All while compromising very little mostly non essential features like low light and noise performance which are workable on mostly any camera from the last decade and a half. If you like longer focal lengths like me the crop factor is a plus and you can still adapt lenses you just wont see the vignetting on the edges.

I think that as well. I've never shot anything on APS-C and thought "if only that had been on full frame", so I agree I'm not really that concerned about IQ between the cameras I'm sure they'll both be more than enough. Although I prefer the wider FOV full frame gives and it can be difficult to find 20mm and below equivalent on crop.

I think the KP + DA Limited lenses may be the ultimate compact DSLR setup. The 40mm limited or 40mm XS are so, so tiny and are optically amazing. I don't have one but I've always thought the K-1 seems close to DSLR perfection. If you want an articulating screen it seems hard to beat that one.

But if you want compact KP + small lens makes sense. I've put my K3iii + 40mm ltd next to my micro four thirds GX7 and the DSLR doesn't seem that much larger, surprisingly. Of course weight is another matter. 😄

Wide angles in a compact package may be tough. I don't have much experience with that but off the top of my head nothing really comes to mind except the 15mm ltd, which is a bit more than 20mm equivalent. It is small though.  Far from perfect (f/4, maybe a bit soft on the edges) but it's a brilliant lens with character that makes up for any technical shortcomings IMO.

And if you want to complete the small package setup the Pentax AF201FG Flash is small and really nice.

@jbp

I saw someone in a video compare the KP to an M43 camera and it was basically the same size as the GH5 or whatever camera it was. Which is what sold me on the idea. I had been thinking of buying an X-T1 and adapting the K mount lenses, but with the adapter it seemed like it would be imbalanced and it defeats the purpose of the compact lenses. So I've decided to buy a K10D and 43mm Limited as a trial run. It's basically the same size as the KP and they aren't very expensive so I won't be out much if I don't like it and it may just be enough for a travel/hiking camera and I don't need to spend more on the KP, or worse case I can resell it and put that money toward the KP if I feel like I need something more.

James Warner and JBP have reacted to this post.
James WarnerJBP
Quote from Cory Maben on April 30, 2024, 5:26 am

@jbp

I saw someone in a video compare the KP to an M43 camera and it was basically the same size as the GH5 or whatever camera it was. Which is what sold me on the idea. I had been thinking of buying an X-T1 and adapting the K mount lenses, but with the adapter it seemed like it would be imbalanced and it defeats the purpose of the compact lenses. So I've decided to buy a K10D and 43mm Limited as a trial run. It's basically the same size as the KP and they aren't very expensive so I won't be out much if I don't like it and it may just be enough for a travel/hiking camera and I don't need to spend more on the KP, or worse case I can resell it and put that money toward the KP if I feel like I need something more.

Great idea! K10d and 43mm are both wonderful. Check out the 40mm limited also if you want ultimate small setup.

I've adapted K-mount lenses to a Fuji X-T2 and also my Lumix GX7 m43. Instantly lost the size savings, and the camera feels heavier in hand as well due to the weight imbalance you spoke of. So I didn't love it lol.

Maybe I'll take a picture of my GX7 with its 20mm pancake lens vs my K3iii and 40mm pancake lens. Not so different! Mainly the K3 is taller.

Quote from JBP on April 30, 2024, 3:33 pm
Quote from Cory Maben on April 30, 2024, 5:26 am

@jbp

Great idea! K10d and 43mm are both wonderful. Check out the 40mm limited also if you want ultimate small setup.

I've adapted K-mount lenses to a Fuji X-T2 and also my Lumix GX7 m43. Instantly lost the size savings, and the camera feels heavier in hand as well due to the weight imbalance you spoke of. So I didn't love it lol.

Maybe I'll take a picture of my GX7 with its 20mm pancake lens vs my K3iii and 40mm pancake lens. Not so different! Mainly the K3 is taller.

Well the idea behind the 43mm was that it's a full frame lens, so it'd be usable still on my film body. I'm going to try and avoid the aps-c lenses as much as I can.

I'm glad to hear my suspicions about the fuji bodies confirmed lol.

You should do that. I'd like to see it!

So I ended up returning the K10D, doing dimensions comparisons, I realized the K1 wasn't actually that much bigger in terms of size and I found I really didn't want to start buying crop lenses and the full frame lenses pentax has don't offer the focal lengths I want when used on crop bodies.

The K1 arrived yesterday and I'm still working through the menus getting everything set up, but my first impressions are that it's not nearly as bulky as I expected from reading comments and watching reviews online. It's standard DSLR sized, in fact it's more or less the exact same size as my SD1 while having a better ovf, a larger sensor and image stabilization. Speaking of the OVF it is super impressive. The ability to add and remove elements from the display including dynamic ones such as the level is really trippy and feels like I'm holding something from an alternate timeline where mirrorless cameras never took off.

Hopefully I'll get out at the beginning of the week and take some photos with it

Quote from Cory Maben on May 11, 2024, 8:35 pm

So I ended up returning the K10D, doing dimensions comparisons, I realized the K1 wasn't actually that much bigger in terms of size and I found I really didn't want to start buying crop lenses and the full frame lenses pentax has don't offer the focal lengths I want when used on crop bodies.

The K1 arrived yesterday and I'm still working through the menus getting everything set up, but my first impressions are that it's not nearly as bulky as I expected from reading comments and watching reviews online. It's standard DSLR sized, in fact it's more or less the exact same size as my SD1 while having a better ovf, a larger sensor and image stabilization. Speaking of the OVF it is super impressive. The ability to add and remove elements from the display including dynamic ones such as the level is really trippy and feels like I'm holding something from an alternate timeline where mirrorless cameras never took off.

Hopefully I'll get out at the beginning of the week and take some photos with it

Nice! Both solid options but personally I think you made the right choice 😉 I absolutely love the K-1. It is my "ultimate camera". I think the penta-prism makes the camera look bigger than it really is. For example the new Nikon Z8 mirrorless is larger but without the penta-prism it doesn't look like it.

I also like my K-3 ii and K-5 ii but they are in a weird no-mans land for me. I use my K-1 ii whenever I can and if I absolutely need something smaller I take my m43 camera (my EM5-ii is not tiny, but my m43 lenses are very compact).

Have fun with your K-1!

Quote from grover on May 13, 2024, 9:44 pm
Quote from Cory Maben on May 11, 2024, 8:35 pm

Nice! Both solid options but personally I think you made the right choice 😉 I absolutely love the K-1. It is my "ultimate camera". I think the penta-prism makes the camera look bigger than it really is. For example the new Nikon Z8 mirrorless is larger but without the penta-prism it doesn't look like it.

I also like my K-3 ii and K-5 ii but they are in a weird no-mans land for me. I use my K-1 ii whenever I can and if I absolutely need something smaller I take my m43 camera (my EM5-ii is not tiny, but my m43 lenses are very compact).

Have fun with your K-1!

I am convinced I made the right choice as well. I took out the K-1 today and I was very pleased. It felt very nimble and light in all aspects compared to my other cameras. I was even one-handing it with the 43mm limited at one point, it's autofocus is very good. the image quality is fantastic (check out my photos in the photo thread). The camera is snappy and responsive and I had a lot of fun with it.

That's interesting about the z8. I think you're right, the mirror box/pentaprism does them them the impression of size, but in my experiences DSLRs tend to not be very big unless you get the one's with integrated vertical grips. I mentioned in a previous post about how the KP is about the same size as a lot of m43 cameras.

I was worried about whether I would like the colors coming back to a bayer camera after using foveons for so long but I was not disappointed. The colors look great and the dynamic range of the sensor is incredible, just about making graduated filters unnecessary.

Page 1 of 2Next