Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Video: Is Technology Killing Photography?

Steve Perry is a really good wildlife photographer:

https://youtu.be/R5Crg4z3eK8?si=YQZa4g-srf2XwooP

I made a comment:

Now when you show someone a photo and they respond, "Wow, that's a great photo, you must have a really good camera" They'll probably be right. 

Technology is killing modern cameras for me, but that is different than it killing photography. But the thing is that you can just choose to either not use those features or buy older gear and just side-step the issue entirely. It can't kill photography, but it can kill your enjoyment of it and everyone's line of how much outsourcing of the process to the camera they are willing to do is different.

I think everyone knows that though and the real issue is actually not about technology at all, but instead is linked to the social aspects of photography, the sharing of photos. I agree with Steve in that a lot of the outcry is about controlling the perception of others rather than anything to do with photography. Someone don't want the photos they're really proud of to be dismissed as being the result of spending the most money.

I think people are too fixated on recognition and money and the desire to turn their hobbies into a job, which is a whole other can of (related) worms. But I think that the solution is to shift focus from the output of photography towards the process of photography. Then suddenly advanced cameras and AI image generation are no longer issues that affect you unless you want them too.

Quote from Cory Maben on May 9, 2024, 7:07 pm

Technology is killing modern cameras for me, but that is different than it killing photography. But the thing is that you can just choose to either not use those features or buy older gear and just side-step the issue entirely. It can't kill photography, but it can kill your enjoyment of it and everyone's line of how much outsourcing of the process to the camera they are willing to do is different.

I think everyone knows that though and the real issue is actually not about technology at all, but instead is linked to the social aspects of photography, the sharing of photos. I agree with Steve in that a lot of the outcry is about controlling the perception of others rather than anything to do with photography. Someone don't want the photos they're really proud of to be dismissed as being the result of spending the most money.

I think people are too fixated on recognition and money and the desire to turn their hobbies into a job, which is a whole other can of (related) worms. But I think that the solution is to shift focus from the output of photography towards the process of photography. Then suddenly advanced cameras and AI image generation are no longer issues that affect you unless you want them too.

For something like sports and wildlife photography that eye detect is a complete game changer.  Between that and the fact that they focus in darn near darkness. LOL....After all the practice I put into using that back button AF.  

The sad fact is, I have way more important expenses than buying a new camera.  It wouldn't be a new camera either it would mean new glass too.  You're correct. This isn't a job, it's a hobby. I have job, I don't want another. 

I'm all on board with the hi tech features of the modern mirrolesss and if I had the dough you bet I would blow some on a hot rod wildlife set-up.

For all the other photography, I don't necessarily even need autofocus.