Please or Register to create posts and topics.

My First Roll of Film

I just processed my first ever roll of film. Some Ilford HP5 ISO 400. I have them hanging up next to me now, waiting for the roll to dry. Now how do I get these onto my computer to invert them? I assume those all in one solutions aren't great, but I can't really afford to drop $500 on a setup right now. Any tips/budget solutions? I will post the results if I get them scanned

So after an only moderately janky setup. I managed to get theses. I definitely need to get something better and re-scan these but here are a couple of my favorites:

SDIM1395 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

SDIM1393 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

SDIM1386 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

SDIM1385 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

SDIM1381 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

What strikes me about film is how it transforms things in a different way than digital does. I feel like most of these shots would 100% not work as a digital image, but somehow do work as a film shot. Overall I am very excited and really pumped to shoot another roll.

Quote from photography.cory on February 27, 2024, 4:27 am

I just processed my first ever roll of film. Some Ilford HP5 ISO 400. I have them hanging up next to me now, waiting for the roll to dry. Now how do I get these onto my computer to invert them? I assume those all in one solutions aren't great, but I can't really afford to drop $500 on a setup right now. Any tips/budget solutions? I will post the results if I get them scanned

I have an Epson V550 for medium format, and then a Plustek 8200Ai for 35mm.  I got both mine for really good deals used.  

Cory Maben has reacted to this post.
Cory Maben
Quote from SpruceBruce on February 27, 2024, 9:44 pm

I have an Epson V550 for medium format, and then a Plustek 8200Ai for 35mm.  I got both mine for really good deals used.  

Thanks! I'll my my eye out for one!

Quote from SpruceBruce on February 27, 2024, 9:44 pm

Would you say the Plustek 8200 ai is worth the money, even brand new? The specs look good, and the fact it comes with the higher end software over the 8200 se make it seem like a decent deal, even at $500.

If you already have a DSLR or mirrorless camera, then a set of extension tubes or a macro lens and scanning them yourself is the cheapest route. 

Use it on a tripod with something like the Lomo digitaliza and you can scan your own 120 and 35mm, It's what I started with. For neg to positive conversion, I use Negative Lab Pro, it's not the cheapest bit of software, but it does work very, very well (edited to add - I forgot that Darktable has a negative reversal tool - and that's free - and a pretty good LR alternative for free as well). Oh and use a rocket blower when scanning.

The results can look like this:

Canon A-1

Minox 35 EL

Nikon F-601

grover and Cory Maben have reacted to this post.
groverCory Maben
Quote from Gideon Liddiard Photography on April 24, 2024, 7:08 am

If you already have a DSLR or mirrorless camera, then a set of extension tubes or a macro lens and scanning them yourself is the cheapest route. 

Use it on a tripod with something like the Lomo digitaliza and you can scan your own 120 and 35mm, It's what I started with. For neg to positive conversion, I use Negative Lab Pro, it's not the cheapest bit of software, but it does work very, very well (edited to add - I forgot that Darktable has a negative reversal tool - and that's free - and a pretty good LR alternative for free as well). Oh and use a rocket blower when scanning.

The results can look like this:

Canon A-1

Minox 35 EL

Nikon F-601

Yeah I ended up going whole hog and bought a stand, a macro lens, a lightbox and Negative Lab Pro. The setup works very well(although I really don't like lightroom, so I may try and find another solution. But here is a sample of some of my favorite film shots so far.

SDIM2654 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

SDIM2642 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

SDIM2627 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

SDIM2605 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

SDIM2602 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

SDIM2546 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

Gideon Liddiard Photography has reacted to this post.
Gideon Liddiard Photography